Sunday 4 September 2011

Val Di Sole World Cup

Since my last report I have had the final world cup round which was being held in Val Di Sole, Italy. I travelled to the race on Wednesday and since my race was on Sunday morning which was a change from usual I had a couple of days on my hands before the race. I spent these days doing a couple of laps of the course so I knew it well and some steady rides on the hilly roads. The course was really hilly and rather technical. It was also covered in a lot of dust which was something I wasn’t quite use to riding in as it made it very slippy and was a bit of a challenge. As I lined up on the start line early on Sunday morning I was front row and looking forward to the race. It started very fast and there was a lot of jostling of position through the start loop but I held a top 3 position for the start loop then when we got on course I broke away into the lead group of 4 of us. The pace was flat out first lap and I lost contact with the front group towards the end of the lap and stayed in 4th for a couple of laps about 20sconds off second place. I then got caught by a Spanish cyclist and I was able to use his wheel and we stayed about 30seconds behind the podium. As we approached the finish he was stronger than me and I couldn’t hold on to him on the final climb and he opened up a 10second lead which put me into 5th which is where I finally finished. It was a hard race on a hard course but I pleased with my result. Next up is the Mountain Bike World Championships in Switzerland.

Thanks for reading,

Grant

No comments:

Post a Comment