Saturday 2 April 2011

Early season of racing

Hello people, been a while since my last post got a bit lazy during the winter, I guess I’ll start off with my winter training which has gone rather well this year other than a couple of illnesses; I managed to get plenty off miles in. Had the national cyclocross championships in early January which went really well and I managed to finish in 2nd place which I was really pleased about then finished my cyclocross season off a week later with a win at the Scottish championships. My first race off this season was the first round of the national road series which was being held in Wales, since it was my first race of the year I wasn’t expecting too much, but my lack of race form was prity obvious as I cramped up in the final part of the race and just had to make it home to the finish in about 50th place. Anyhow next up was the first round of the national MTB bike series which was being held at Sherwood pines in Nottinghamshire. I have raced there many times before so I knew that this course is proper fast and relatively flat therefore it was going to be flat out from the start. I had an average start but through the first lap managed to move in to the top two positions with Matt Sumpton and the race was on. The course being so fast it was hard for either of us to open up a gap and after 4 laps of close racing it was going to be a sprint finish. It was my first sprint finish for a very long time and something I usually try to avoid because it’s not my strongest point, ha-ha. Anyway, I had noticed in the pre ride that if it was going to be a sprint the final section of fire road before the woods was going to be the most important, I used this to my advantage and got in front into the final section and managed to hold Matt of to the finish and claim my first win of the year, by a close 3 seconds. Next up is some more road racing with a super 6 and then the junior tour of Bristol.
That’s all for now
Grant

No comments:

Post a Comment